Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jurisdictional Conference Is Completed

It was an incredible week of ministry. A long one, days that lasted 14-16 hours, but after it was all said and done, Jurisdictional Conference was a time of blessing for me and I know many. To see and meet new people of our common faith and tradition was overwhelmingly affirming.

Sharing time with sisters and brothers from our Annual Conference was some of the greatest experiences! I now know that Eric Park can dance! I was blessed to share a room with Larry Beatty, Director at Jumonville and I got so many opportunities to sit next to Louise Patterson, CCN chair of our Annual Conference. Louise is a sweet spirited woman of faith. I could go on about so many from our Annual Conference and just who they are and what they mean to me know that I shared this intimate and profound week with them. I thank them for being so warm, loving and kind; in our deliberations, meals, meetings and even in the elevator!

We all thought for sure Bishop Tom and Sally would be moving on. When it was announced that they were coming back for four more years, our concerns were suddenly replaced with great peace and joy. Following the announcement, each delegation had the opportunity to meet with their new bishop. When Bishop Tom came into the room, we were filled with smiles and tears. The Northeast Jurisdictional Episcopacy Committee (the ones who make the assignments of Bishops) met until a little after 5 a.m. that morning. We prayed heavily for them as they had such hard and long work to do. I thank God for Pat Morris and Joel Garrett, who represented our Annual Conference on the Episcopacy Committee. They worked diligently along with so many others through the night and into the early morning hours.

Joel Garrett, our clergy rep for the committee spoke of the strongest Holy Spirit moment he ever had was at 4:00 a.m. that morning in the meeting. He shared the Spirit's prompting led him to confirm that the Holy Spirit is going to lead our Annual Conference like never before. As I heard this, I was brought to tears and I experienced the Holy Spirit's confirmation in his speaking. It is one time I will never forget. I sensed God speaking to me in that particular moment saying that what is in store for our Annual Conference over the next four years with Bishop Bickerton's leadership will be one like we never have experienced before. Joel's talk was profound as we are in need of great renewal in the church and I believe this is the time to move forward, to Rise Up, Encounter God and Engage the World.

Consecration of Bishops - July 21, 2012 NEJ Conference

Moment of Announcement when Martin McLee became Bishop

Bishop-Elect Mark Webb giving his first few words as Bishop

My great friend Allan, lead pastor at Baldwin Community was there to be with his best friend William Meekins Jr. who was an Episcopal Candidate. 

A gift by our Annual Conference to Bishop Bickerton. (Picture of Pittsburgh)

A Dear Sister in Christ, Joan Reasinger

Our newly elected Bishops, (Ball, McLee and Webb)

Bishop Bashore was there too! 

Bishops Peggy Johnson and Tom Bickerton in the Processional

A Continuation of the Procession into St. Mark's UMC, Charleston, WV
So... hold on to your seat church. We our looking forward to "the Journey Continues" with Bishop Tom! Be blessed!

No comments: