Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hurtin World out There


Today I switched up my visitation schedule slightly. Normally I head out on the visiting trail in the afternoon, but I had a parishioner in AGH that was being discharged this morning. So after I dropped Abby off at daycare, I headed out. After visiting AGH and Mercy, I went to Jefferson Hospital for my last visit. I had a great visit with the parishioner.
On my way out, I witnessed a woman crying and was practically shouting out, "Can anyone take me home? I was in the ER and they released me. I have no money and no one will take me home."
I witnessed as I was coming closer to her that others were just walking by her giving her the cold shoulder. Something struck me hard in that moment. I just stopped and asked, "Are you ok?" She responded with the same question she asked earlier about finding a ride. I asked, "Where are you going?" She told me where she was going, actually near the church.
I told her I could take her there. Normally, I don't just pick up strangers. But this was different. She needed help. I was not going to just let this woman sit there in pain waiting for something to fall in her lap.
As we left I heard her say, "Oh, I am thirsty." We stopped in the drive thru at Chik-Fil-A. She thanked me many times for her coke (her husband works for Pepsi) As we were driving her phone rang. It was her husband. She told him a pastor was bringing her home and she was in good hands. After she hung up, her phone ran again. It was her doctor's office. As she explained her troubles, I felt so bad for her. Multiple health issues...former drug use and treatment... the list went on and on.
As we got closer to the house, she continued to thank me as she sipped on her coke. I told her I was just thankful I could have been there to help. I told her, "Normally, I am not there at lunchtime." She said, "I truly believe God put you in my life today for a reason. A good reason. Thank you for being a good person." I told her I would be praying for her and she got out of the van and went in her house to rest.
Now that I am serving in the city, I see more needs around me than I ever did. I see physical hurting, emotional hurting and people who are spiritually needy. As I drove into the North Side this am, I witnessed people in wheelchairs, homeless and in great need. As I walked out of Jefferson, I witnessed one who had all three hurts that I mentioned above. As I came back to the office, I heard over the phone and through e-mail the pain that some in the church family are experiencing. There is a need to be the light of Christ to a hurting world. Wow, did I see it today. I am thankful God used me and you today to give testimony of the hope Christ can bring.
John 17:20 Jesus said, "I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony."

8 comments:

Randy Roda said...

Great post...I needed to hear that!

smkyqtzxtl said...

I am so glad you changed your scheduled today. what a testimony. You broke my heart and blessed it at the same time.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Sometimes it's hard to think that with SO much chaos and brokenness that we are actually accomplishing much. One soul at a time, I suppose.

Chris said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that Jeff. I'm glad we can walk this journey together.

Jeff Kahl said...

Jeff,
That is a great testimony, man. Who knows how the Holy Spirit will use that act of kindness? Thanks for your faithfulness!
Jeff

Charlotte said...

Wow... isn't it awesome when God puts you in the the right place at the right moment? YOU are what "fell into her lap" and God purposely put you there. Thanks for sharing... tears flowed as I read, but by the end I was smiling. God is so good!

Brett Probert said...

You're such a Kingdom thinker man, keep it up!

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Very touching, Jeff. Great to see you being the hands and feet of Jesus. Thanks for sharing the blessing.