Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Can You Go Hard...Every Play?

“Can you go hard every play…” – LC Greenwood. I did not learn this from LC Greenwood, but I learned it from Jerrell. Jerrell was my Uber Driver this week as I left the hotel on the chilly Atlanta fall morning.

Jerrell and I discussed the Falcons-Giants game the night before and we discussed who our favorite team was. Jerrell had a Steelers hat in his car and of course, we began this conversation! He told me that he was the nephew of the late LC Greenwood, former Steeler great from the 70’s. Jerrell talked to me about how he met many of the Steeler greats at his Uncle LC’s funeral and how wonderful it was to experience meeting these great men. He also talked about how he got to workout with Troy Polamalu while visiting his uncle in Pittsburgh.

As we were about 5 minutes from our destination, I asked Jerrell, “Jerrell, tell me, what is the one greatest thing you learned from your Uncle LC. What is something you remember that has forever changed your life?”

Jerrell didn’t waste a moment. He said: “My Uncle LC said this to me when I was on the powerlifting team in high school. ‘Can you go hard every play?’ This is what my Uncle imparted on me.”

I was busy writing this in my phone from the backseat as he was sharing. I was so impressed with his passion to share his Uncle LC’s wisdom.

Coach Lombardi and Bill Curry #50 
I then spoke up by saying, “Thank you for taking time to share this with me. Jerrell, last night, I had the opportunity to meet Coach Bill Curry. Coach Curry played for the famous Vince Lombardi.”

I then began to share with Jerrell what I learned from Coach Curry this past week. Listening to Coach Curry the night before was history in the making.

Coach Curry spoke about the honor of playing for Coach Lombardi. When Curry was traded from Green Bay, Curry became very resentful towards Lombardi when he was traded. In the Super Bowl, the NY Times quoted Curry and was on the front page bashing Lombardi.

Curry felt bad for making the mistake of throwing his former coach under the bus.

Sometime later, Lombardi was on his deathbed and was dying of cancer. It was arranged for Curry to go visit Lombardi and have a moment of reconciliation. Curry accepted and was full of angst as he prepared to go in. Curry had no idea what he was going to say to Lombardi.

As Curry walked into the solemn hospital room that day, he was greeted by Lombardi’s wife. Lombardi’s wife was so good to Curry through all the years and it pierced his heart to have to walk in and face her. He did. She welcomed Curry as if nothing has ever gone wrong before.

As Bill Curry looked at Coach Lombardi, Lombardi had IV’s in one arm and the other arm lifted up alitttle and motioned Curry to come closer. Lombardi’s wife pushed Curry closer. As Curry touched Lombardi’s hand, Bill began to talk. He began to say to Coach Lombardi, “Coach, I am sorry for all that I have said. I will do anything to make it up to you.” Lombardi squeezed his hand and responded, “You can pray for me right now.”

A humbling moment. Curry realized the power of reconciliation and that of God’s grace. Everything that Lombardi taught Curry came to light; the discipline, the work ethic, the power of racial reconciliation when race tensions were at an all time high, the power of faith in a God who loves all, despite skin color and so much more. Lombardi was such a man of faith. A strong Catholic man who loved Jesus and made sure that others knew that too.

Jerrell and I had an incredible moment. We connected and made an impression on each other. I was not even supposed to have been in an Uber, but because Delta messed up my hotel confirmation, I was able to ride in Jerrell’s car.

I mentioned to Jerrell before I got out of the car, “Jerrell, I have a piece of advice that I learned from Coach Curry last night. It’s this: There are two pains in life: The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. The pain of discipline is brief, and the pain of regret lasts a lifetime. Great teams have 2 characteristics. One great leaders, and two, a bunch of people who refuse to let each other down. The pain of discipline or the pain of regret. You choose.”



Jerrell began typing in his phone! He wanted to capture this history in his phone also.

I asked Jerrell if I could take a picture with him. He was so excited as was I. We had a moment of great connection, in an Uber ride, where two lives intersected for 15 minutes, but a thought about our directions of living life that would last a lifetime.

My Uber driver, Jerrell in Atlanta. 

Thanks Jerrell for making an imprint on my life on Tuesday, October 23, 2018. I will never forget it.

Last week, I earned this bracelet.
The Discipline of a TFW Brute Warrior

Too you, the reader, its just a plastic bracelet. To me, this is the choice of discipline, something I had to earn. This bracelet doesn’t come free. There is a cost (not monetarily) to this bracelet. This Training For Warriors (TFW) bracelet represents, blood (literally!) and sweat from 6 days a week at 6:00 a.m. for one year. I had to reach certain levels to earn this. (Thanks Coaches Colin, Adam and Jake for pushing me hard at TFW Julington Creek!) Last year, I hit the scale at nearly 300 lbs with no physical discipline. I only experienced regret for letting myself get that way.

Today, I see how the pain of discipline has been brief to bring me to a greater health; body, mind and spirit.

Jerrell and I encourage you today: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. Your choice.

Can you go hard…every play?

With Coach Curry and his wife, along with Debbie McLeod (left) at the Leading Edge Conference, Atlanta. 


No comments: