Thursday, September 13, 2018

Entitlement Wreaks Havoc

Recently I was looking on Facebook at pictures of a friends recent trip to Yosemite National Park. It was a beautifully sunny day, views for miles, and smiles all around. My first thought was, "It's not fair, that they got to see the beauty of Yosemite and when I was out there in July, all I witnessed was smoke from the Ferguson Fires. 
Smoke covers Yosemite National Park
Picture I took along the Tioga Pass
As I reflect upon my emotions, I find that my mind was consumed with entitlement. What makes me entitled to have the best view? Why not be grateful for the fact that I was in Yosemite in the first place? Although I didn't get to see the historic landmarks in Yosemite because of smoke, I did get to climb the Pass over to Nevada. It's on that drive that I got to see God's beautiful creation. 

Entitlement can wreak havoc. Lately, I have witnessed entitlement at a deeper level. A few weeks ago, my area was witness to a mass shooting that left people dead after a gamer lost a video game. Two nights before that, our area witnessed shootings at a high school football game that left people dead. 

It saddens me to live in a time where many believe they deserve more than others and when we don't win or when we don't get a trophy for participating, entitlement rears its ugly head once again. 

Entitlement believes that we deserve more or that we have the right to have something. 

For the last 10 months I have been exercising at TFW (Training for Warriors) in Julington Creek. Before I started, I had the mindset that I deserved to be in shape and that I deserved to have muscles, simply because I worked hard and didn't have "time" for the gym. I made excuse after excuse. 

What I came to find out, was, no one was handing me a "fit" body. 

Almost 300lbs and made excuse after excuse
I was nearing 300 lbs, I was on blood pressure meds and was pre-diabetic. It was an ugly cycle. I kept telling myself, "Poor me, I have such a hard time getting up to exercise, so why not, let's just eat another burger." 

This entitled attitude was leading me down a dark path, one that would eventually kill me prematurely if I did not check myself and my ego at the door and humble myself to take a step in faith and the right direction. 

Muscles and a fit body don't come by napping and eating Oreos. It comes through vigorous exercise, discipline, and a regimented food plan. Since this change in November 2017, I have lost nearly 70 lbs, am not pre-diabetic and no longer have high blood pressure. 
Feeling like I am in my 20's again! After a long hike in Sequoia National Park
I am off my meds and now feel like I did when I was in my 20's. 



I've met many new friends along the way and we work hard to encourage each other. 
Some of the Familia at TFW


I say this because I see the same with our faith. We say we want God in our life, but do we do anything about it? We can get caught spiritually napping and eating spiritual Oreos while the good is right in front of us. 

Faith requires investment. James 2:14-26 says, "14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."

Yes, we are saved by faith through grace in Jesus Christ, but just because we are saved by God's grace does not give us the right to walk around with an entitled attitude. 

Jesus came to serve, not to be served. We too are called to serve, not to be served. 

I react very badly when mediocrity throws a tantrum of entitlement. - Lee Siegel

I no longer want to be mediocre. I want to be the best I can be for the Lord and for others. I hope you feel the same way about yourself and what God desires in you. 


No comments: