Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Hurricane Irma, No Communication And The Neighbors

After not sleeping the night of Hurricane Irma, I crashed in my bed early last evening. I awakened this morning to a phone that worked again and the ability to communicate with the outside world. 
I now see via social media the damage my friends all across the state sustained including here in the northeastern part of the state. 
Late last afternoon, I witnessed a neighborhood that had no power. Here is what I saw: neighbors talking to each other, 10's of dad's fishing with their kids, one husband and wife sitting on rocking chairs on their front porch while the husband played his guitar and sang, kids playing in the streets, people grilling and talking. I said to Alayna and Jaelin who were with me, "This reminds me of the 80's, when people took time for each other and invested in their community and one another." Today, we get to experience that again as rebuilding all across this great state of Florida begins. 
I close with these words from Paul to the Philippian church and community "Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4 See you on the street!



No comments: