Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What NOT To Do On A Snow Day


What am I to do when all the education world shuts down around me for a snow storm? I guess I change my day off! Jennifer is working 12 1/2 hours and I was the one to stay home. Today was the great snow of 08. Yes, we got walloped with a huge 4 inch snow storm. (Remember the days of three feet snows?) This four incher shut everything down pretty much today.




We couldn't go sledding today. (There are not many places in Whitehall that have sledding areas, as well as the kids growing out of their sledding gear.) Snowzone www.snozone.net (1/2 mile from us) opens tomorrow Besides Aaron, our son, had a orthodontics consult with Dr. Sepic www.smilesbysepic.com Dr. Sepic's office called this morning and asked if we could move up the appointment. We did. We arrived at our appointment, left a short while later and went to the movie theater.


Our goal was to watch Hannah Montana, Best of Both Worlds movie. We pulled up to Southland 9. We had the only vehicle in the lot, besides the one employee vehicle. The kids were jumping, excited to watch Hannah Montana in the movie!


We got to the clerk and she looked up and said in a monotone voice, "The movie costs $18 per person." I said, "Did you say this movie is $18 per person?" She said, "Yes." I looked at the kids and said, "Kids, daddy didn't realize this movie was going to cost us close to $100 to watch. This movie is too much money for us to pay." So we all turned around and left. On the way out, I said, "I'm sorry kids, Daddy didn't realize this was going to cost us as much as it costs to go to a Pirate game!" Aaron, the 9 year old, great thinker he is, said, "Daddy, it's ok. You made the right choice."


How can a working family like us afford to take my little children to see someone they think so much of and say, "Sorry, we can't afford this movie." $18 per person, including my four year old? It's unconscionable! It's unfair that the public has to pay $18 for a movie, not to mention $1000's of dollars for a little child to see Hannah Montana in concert.


So this is NOT what to do on a snowy day... see a Hannah Montana movie. Tonight we made popcorn, put our PJ's on and watched a rental... for $1.07.

5 comments:

Greg Cox said...

You made the right choice. Boy am I glad you told me that in advance - I'm not even mentioning it to the girls now!

Brenda said...

I checked into takeing Pearl, but when I found out the price I said no way. When Pearl sees it advertised on TV and says she wants to go I tell her we will have to wait till it comes out on DVD.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Claire saw the movie with a group of friends; the rest of us dodged that particular bullet.

Jan said...

What? $18/person you've got to be kidding? Unbelievable!

Unknown said...

You are all making me feel much better after the "wise" decision made here.